Knowledge

Sky is not the limit of knowledge

Linux

InfoWorld has posted their predictions that Apple UNIX and MS Windows will “force Linux underground”. They predict that Linux will be used more in embedded systems as opposed to general computing and server platforms where Windows and Apple will take over.

Personally I am a bit pissed at this whole article, I mean I could understand it if he predicted that about just general computing, I mean sure I can see that happening, not that I’m pleased about it but I can see that.

As for server he is way off base in my opinion, I mean he’s looking at the new Apple servers and he’s saying that they will take over Linux based servers?!?! That’s just nuts, I mean apple, right now, is getting into the server market with servers costing $3k or something along those lines. Sure that seems all nice and cheap but the fact of the matter is we’re talking about servers not personal computers. No one is going to buy the $3k server because no one wants to use a PC as a server. Servers in general are way more powerful and thus more expensive than PCs.

Plus the fact that it’s a MAC isn’t going to play as much of a role in the server market as in the PC market. I mean no one who’s going to buy a server is going to care about all those “iLife” applications because THEY’RE NOT NEEDED IN A SERVER and the fact that the server is designed all nice and shit, I mean I don’t think I care if my server is “the cutest server in the whole Data Center” or if it’s just a black 2U box. I’m going to care how much power it has and a $3k Apple server isn’t going to cut it for most companies.

In any case have a read and judge for yourselves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Readbud